Navigation Menu
Site logo
Site logo
Site logo
Navigation Light bar
Buy Richard’s BooksBooks
Richard’s CollectionRichard's Pen Collection
Richard’s Pen BlogRichard's Blog
Reference PagesReference Info
Extra Fine PointsExtra Fine Points
The WritingsWritings
Pen  LinksOther Pen Sites
More Search Options

Glossary of Paper Terms for Fountain Pen Users

(This page published September 1, 2004)

Introduction  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Reference Info Index | Glossopedia  ]


dandy roll In papermaking, when paper is made by machine, this is an open cylinder of a wire mesh which smooths the wet pulp and leaves a watermark and laid finished.
daphne A plant native to Nepal and the Himalayas from which the fibers are derived for hand papermaking. The plant, in a former life, was a nymph trying to avoid Apollo's hot pursuit.
deckle A wooden frame that is fitted over a tray providing a raised edge to prevent the watery paper pulp from running off. It governs sheet size and leaves a deckled edge.
deckle edge These are beautiful feathery edges that appear on all four sides of handmade paper, but on only two sides of mould-made paper. It results from a small amount of pulp becoming trapped between the edges of the deckle and the mould during papermaking. It is possible to simulate a deckle edge in machine-made papers by a special device which cuts the sheets with a stream of water while still the paper is still wet. Deckle edge must not be confused with scalloped edge. Shown below is a handmade envelope with a deckle edge. See also Dutch, scalloped edge.
demy A size of writing paper 15" × 20" or 15" × 20" in Britain, 16" × 21" in the U.S.
diploma This is a fine paper specifically intended for the printing of — you guessed it — diplomas.
DL envelope The standard international business envelope, 110 mm × 220 mm. See also No. 10 envelope.
downcycling When cellulose fibers are recycled, they deteriorate and become contaminated. Progressive deterioration lowers the quality of newly formed products. See also recycled paper.
Dutch Any deckle edged paper produced in the Netherlands. See also deckle edge.

The information in this glossary is as accurate as possible, but you should not take it as absolutely authoritative or complete. If you have additions or corrections to this page, please consider sharing them with us to improve the accuracy of our information.

© 2004 B. H. Bentzman
© 2018
Contact Us | About Us | Privacy Policy
Richard Binder - Fountain Pens Like RichardsPens on Facebook