Navigation Menu
Site logo
Site logo
Site logo
Navigation Light bar
Buy Richard’s BooksBooks
Richard’s CollectionRichard's Pen Collection
Richard’s Pen BlogRichard's Blog
Reference PagesReference Info
Extra Fine PointsExtra Fine Points
The WritingsWritings
Pen  LinksOther Pen Sites
More Search Options

Glossary of Paper Terms for Fountain Pen Users

(This page published September 1, 2004)

Introduction  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Reference Info Index | Glossopedia  ]


feathering This occurs when you lay a line of ink on paper and it is not sharp but spreads, often spreading in rays that resemble the vane of a feather. It can sometimes be avoided by writing with a finer nib. See also bleed.
felt finish In an early stage of papermaking by machine, while the paper pulp is still more water than fiber, rolls covered with woven wool or synthetic felts leave a characteristic soft texture in the paper's surface.
felt side This is the top side of a sheet of paper. It can be identified by holding a paper up to the light and finding the watermark which faces the top. This is the side usually recommended for the best printing results, but it is not always the best side for fountain pen use. You might find that whereas the felt side resists your fountain pen, the reverse side might work perfectly.
fiber This is the thread-like cellulose that forms a cohesive mass that we know as a sheet of paper. See also cellulose.
fine papers The term reserved for high-quality papers that provide superior characteristics for fountain pen users.
finish This refers to the surface characteristics of paper, its texture, its reflectiveness, its acceptance of various mediums. See also cockle finish, cold press, eggshell finish, embossed finish, hot press, laid finish, linen finish, satin finish, silk finish.
finishing The final cutting, trimming, and packaging of paper.
flax The flax plant is used to make linen cloth. The fiber comes from the inner bark of the flax plant.
fluorescent paper This is paper with high reflective quality that makes it very bright; when colored pigments are used, they are vivid, perhaps lurid. Shown here is an assortment of colored fluorescent papers.
foolscap A type of inexpensive writing paper: legal size, lined, yellow sheets in a pad. See also legal size.
Fourdrinier machine A papermaking machine, the wonderful invention of the Frenchman Nicholas-Louis Robert in 1798, first put into service for Henry & Seamy Fourdrinier in England in 1804. Pulp runs into one end of the machine onto a moving endless belt of wire cloth (Fourdrinier wire), then to run over the polished surface of steam-heated cylinders to come out nearly finished paper.

The information in this glossary is as accurate as possible, but you should not take it as absolutely authoritative or complete. If you have additions or corrections to this page, please consider sharing them with us to improve the accuracy of our information.

© 2004 B. H. Bentzman
© 2018
Contact Us | About Us | Privacy Policy
Richard Binder - Fountain Pens Like RichardsPens on Facebook